• 54°

Rowan weather: More of the same

We’re in for another hot one today, with sunny skies and a high near 97. A west southwest wind will pick up this afternoon to 5-10 mph, but it won’t give much relief. Tonight’s low will be a warm 74 degrees

Wednesday, too, will be mostly sunny and hot, but down a bit to 94 degrees. Nevertheless, heat index values will be up to 100 degrees or more. That summertime 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms comes in Wednesday night, with a low of 71. Any storm could become severe, as we saw last week.

Mostly sunny again Thursday and a high of 95. Just a 20 percent chance of storms and showers Thursday night, with a low around 72.

The chance of rain goes up Friday to 40 percent, but skies will still be partly sunny and the high will be 93. The same chance of thunderstorms and rain showers is possible Friday night, with a low of 70.

It will be less hot Saturday, with a high of 88, but storms and showers are likely, with a 60 percent chance. It will be mostly cloudy. The rain chance drops to 40 percent Saturday night, with a low of 68.

And Sunday has a 40 percent chance of showers and storms, and will be mostly cloudy, with a high of 86. Sunday night, it’s back to that 30 percent chance of precipitation, with a low of 67.

It’s a return to mostly sunny skies for Monday, but not quite as hot, with a high of 86.

Comments

Business

With remote expansion, outsource provider FCR looks to become an ‘exceptional part’ of Rowan community

Local

City expects $1.5 million surplus in current budget, ability to raise some wages for police, public works

Education

Enochville Elementary to host farewell event May 1

High School

High school softball: Carson beats West in a wild one

College

Seahawks QB Russell Wilson will speak at NC State graduation

High School

Wonders, Trojans facing off Monday on Cannon Ballers’ field

Local

City approves two apartment developments, more than 160 new units

Nation/World

Crowds react with joy, wariness to verdict in Floyd’s death

News

Bill seeks to end pistol purchase permits from NC sheriffs

Coronavirus

Rowan County sees 300th death attributed to COVID-19

News

Chauvin convicted on all counts in George Floyd’s death

Local

Top North Carolina House finance chair, Rowan representative stripped of position

Crime

One charged, another hospitalized in fight between cousins

Business

Commissioners green light additional houses at Cherry Treesort in China Grove

Local

Bell Tower Green renamed to honor Stanbacks; Nancy Stanback receives key to city

Education

A.L. Brown will hold in-person, outdoor graduation

Local

Granite Quarry awards FEMA contract for Granite Lake Park

Local

City to vote on apartment developments, final phases of Grants Creek Greenway project

High School

High school football: North receiver McArthur a rising star

Columnists

Carl Blankenship: Pollen and prejudice make their return

News

Harris pitches $2.3T spending plan on trip to North Carolina

Nation/World

Murder case against ex-cop in Floyd’s death goes to the jury

Crime

Sheriff’s office: Man takes deputies on chase with stolen moped

Coronavirus

Afternoon, evening COVID-19 vaccination clinic planned Thursday