Blotter: Two charged with marijuana, cocaine possession
By Shavonne Walker
Police charged two men with cocaine and marijuana possession after an officer spotted a near accident at South Lee Street. Officers seized drugs and other paraphernalia from a vehicle the two were inside.
Salisbury Police charged Darryl Sylvester Price, Jr., 25, of the 400 block of Grim Street, and Antonio Devon Henderson, 34, of the 1500 block of North Jackson Street, each with felony cocaine possession, misdemeanor marijuana possession and misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia.
An officer responded to assist the Police Interdiction Team after an officer witnessed an incident where a driver almost struck a sport utility vehicle.
The officer recognized the driver, Antonio Henderson, whom she knew had no license. Henderson appeared nervous and was asked to remain still, a report said.
An officer approached the passenger, Darryl Price, and smelled marijuana. An officer asked Price to step from the vehicle and asked if he had smoked marijuana. Price denied he smoked marijuana.
Police searched Henderson and found a marijuana roach and a digital scale in his pocket. The digital scale had some marijuana residue on it, police said.
Officers had a police K-9 search around the vehicle and the dog alerted on an area of the interior driver’s side door. Officers found a hole cut in the door, and found inside a bag was a small amount of marijuana.
Also inside the car, officers found powder cocaine in a bag tucked near a child booster seat in the back seat that was pushed up against the driver’s side of the vehicle.
Officers confiscated 0.1 gram of cocaine and two grams of marijuana.
The men were each issued $1,500 secured bonds and both have since been released from the Rowan County Detention Center.
Henderson has a number of convictions including felony possession of a scheduled II controlled substance, driving while license revoked, misdemeanor communicating threats, providing fictitious information to a law enforcement officer, assault on a female, misdemeanor breaking and entering, possession of a marijuana, felony breaking and entering, larceny, resisting arrest, speeding, and driving while impaired.
Price has been convicted of assault with a deadly weapon, carrying a concealed weapon, possession of a schedule II controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia.
In other police reports:
• Police seized marijuana on Monday in the 300 block of Laurel Pointe Circle and issued a citation.
• A woman reported on Tuesday someone broke into her unlocked van in the 800 block of South Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue.
• A man reported on Tuesday someone opened an account in his name in the 1500 block of West Colonial Drive.
• A man reported on Tuesday someone robbed him at gunpoint and took his rental car in the 100 block of West Miller Street.
• Novant Health Rowan Medical Center reported on Tuesday a vandalism occurred at the hospital.
• McLaughlin’s Grocery reported on Wednesday someone tried to break into the store at 1210 W. Monroe St.
In sheriff’s reports:
• A woman reported on Monday a vandalism in the 700 block of Lakeview Road.
• A woman reported on Monday someone broke into her house and took items in the 1900 block Troutman Hill Road, Kannapolis.
• A woman reported on Monday she was the victim of an assault in the 100 block of Misty Lane, Rockwell.
• Michael Wayne Huffman, 22, was charged on Monday with felony assault inflicting serious bodily injury in the 500 block of Vance Street, Landis.
• Michael Todd Allman, 42, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance schedule II in the 400 block of Grace Church Road.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.
When Samantha Brown applied for a national contest with Scholastic Books called the Scholastic Project Summer Contest, she thought that... read more