Christmas Happiness — A gift through the bonds of friendship
By Shavonne Walker
SALISBURY — Bob Lewis served as senior pastor of First Presbyterian Church for 24 years, retirin in 2002. His respite did not last long. Three months later, the minister was an adjunct professor at Hood Theological Seminary.
His friend, Dr. Albert Aymer, the now-retired president of the seminary, asked Lewis if he would consider the position. Lewis held the position as well as directed the doctor of ministry program, a new program at the time.
Lewis would work as head of the program and as a professor for eight and a half years.
In honor of that friendship with Aymer and his former fellow faculty and staff members, Lewis and his wife, Jan, gave a donation to the Christmas Happiness Fund.
“I enjoyed it tremendously,” Lewis said of his time at Hood.
He went on to teach at Hood because of Aymer.
“I really enjoyed the work there. It was wonderful to work with pastors. I’ve worked all my life with lay people and it was a new opportunity. I was grateful to the opportunity. They do a great job,” Lewis said.
He and Aymer were at Drew University in Madison, N.J., at the same time; Lewis was a student.
“We’ve been close through the years. I have great admiration for the vision that he had,” Lewis said.
Lewis and his wife said they’ve always been supportive of Hood, so it was natural to earmark their donation in honor of the seminary.
The donations to the Christmas Happiness Fund come from the community. Donations are brought to the Salisbury Post during business hours. The money is then given to the Salvation Army of Rowan County to distribute to eligible families.
Contributions to Christmas Happiness may be delivered to the Salisbury Post, 131 W. Innes St., between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays or mailed to Salisbury Post Christmas Happiness Fund, P.O. Box 4639, Salisbury, N.C. 28145-4639. Please make checks payable to Christmas Happiness Fund and indicate how you want your donation listed.
Today’s contributions are:
- In honor of all persons suffering from ALS by James and Peggy Harris $100
- The Staff and Providers at Salisbury Pediatric Associates by Mark and Jeannie Lins $500
- The Faculty and Staff of Hood Theological Seminary by Jan and Bob Lewis $50
- In honor of My Family by Lib Morgan $100
- In honor of our two granddaughters, Madison Lynn Long and Calleigh Rae Reavis, by Mary and Fred Long III $50
- In honor of Olivia, Sophia, Cooper and Avery Doty by Jim and Jeanie Doty $100
- In honor of the Charles F. Fisher Chapter No. 73, Children of the Confederacy by the Robert F. Hoke Chapter No. 78, United Daughters of the Confederacy $25
- In Appreciation of the Veterans of the U.S. Military and their families by Mr. and Mrs. Edison C. Curtis $25
- In honor of our teachers Rodney Callaway, Anne Greenland, and Phyllis Little, by the Dearborn-Isenberg SS Class, 1st United Church of Christ $50
- In memory of Mr. and Mrs. M.D. McKnight Sr. and Mr. and Mrs. Claude Benson by M.D. and Mary Ann McKnight $200
- In loving memory of Willie Boyd by Tracy, Ryan and Ga $100
- In memory of Eva Sloop by Crawford F. Sloop $100
- In honor of my precious wife, Sara Hurley by Ben Hurley $20
- In memory of Ray E. Hollowell by Libby Hollowell $50
- In memory of Richard W. Riley, Sr., Margaret Gooden Riley, Richard W. Riley Jr., James (Jim) Riley, Gladys Riley, Charles Wall Sr., Caroline H. Wall, Charles Wall Jr., Martha Wall Riley and Bob Wall by Joseph E. Riley $50
- Jim and Nina $100
- In loving memory of parents we have lost, our beloved “Spuds,” other family and dear friends; we love and miss you so very much by Karen and James Wilkerson $25
- In memory of Bertie Koontz by Frances W. Lomax $25
- In lieu of Christmas cards to relatives and friends by Rick and Carol Leonard $100
- Peripatetic Reviewers $100
- In memory of Vic Shive $100
- In memory of co-workers at R.W. Norman and other friends: E.E. Lampert Sr., Ilene Wise, Irene Ritchie, Tripp Lambert, Kathleen Gray, West Spain, Ann Myers, Don Barger, Blanche Lampert, Norman Beaver, Rosemary Spain, Maxine Carlton, and Walter Wise by Pat Beaver, “Pocita” and “Swicy” $30
- In memory of Mary Zink and Alicia Corriher by Sheila Brownlow and Deal Safrit $25
Saturday evening’s Swing into Christmas Show with the Salisbury Swing Band was an enormous success. Held at the Salisbury Civic... read more