Blotter: A Mooresville teen was charged in multiple Kannapolis vehicle break-ins
By Shavonne Walker
KANNAPOLIS — A Mooresville teenager made his first court appearance Thursday after he was charged with a number of vehicle break-ins that occurred in January throughout Kannapolis.
The Rowan County Sheriff’s Office charged Austin Blake Jenkins, 16, of the 9000 block of Unity Church Road, with one count of felony first-degree burglary, eight counts of felony breaking and entering vehicles, one count of felony larceny, three counts of misdemeanor larceny and one count of felony larceny of a firearm.
The high school student remains in the Rowan County Detention Center under a $100,000 secured bond.
According to arrest warrants, on the night of Jan. 20 and the early-morning hours of Jan. 21, Jenkins broke into a 1994 Honda Accord at Watson Court in Mooresville. Authorities say he took a Nikon camera and lens, an iPad tablet, three calculators, Under Armor shoes, a basketball, a flashlight, three backpacks, a Samsung laptop and a camera bag.
Jenkins is also accused of breaking into a 2005 Jeep Liberty parked at a Freeze Road home on Jan. 15, a 2005 Chevy Classic on Jan. 10 on Wright Road, and stealing a fanny pack with medical supplies on Jan. 15 from a 2013 Honda Civic on Freeze Road.
An arrest warrant said a resident reported a camouflage wallet, Social Security card and glasses were taken when a 2013 Chrysler was broken into on Smith Road. A 2005 Ford Escape at another Smith Road residence was also broken into, a warrant said.
A 2004 Toyota pickup was broken into and a Ruger LCP II handgun and .380-caliber handgun were stolen. A woman reported $40, a Betsey Johnson purse, and a wallet with assorted credit cards were stolen from her Hyundai Elantra parked on Freeze Road.
In other Rowan County Sheriff’s reports:
• F&M Bank reported Tuesday that it was the victim of fraud after someone placed an empty deposit slip into an ATM at 102 S. Avalon Drive.
• Car Clinic of Salisbury reported Tuesday that it was the victim of fraud, 4404 Old Concord Road.
• Rusty Wallace Racing Experience reported Tuesday the larceny of a credit card between Sept. 28, 2015, and Dec. 30, 2016, at 268 Pit Road, Mooresville.
• Two male students were reported Tuesday to have had a fight at East Rowan High School. No injuries were reported.
• A woman reported Tuesday that she was the victim of credit card fraud in the 2200 block of Richard Street in Kannapolis.
• A woman reported Tuesday a burglary in the 6600 block of Old Beatty Ford Road, Rockwell.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.
By Josh Bergeron firstname.lastname@example.org SALISBURY — High Rock Dam and three others on the Yadkin River are officially under new management. The sale... read more