Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Where is the G.I. Memorial House?
2. Dr. John Wilkerson ends an 18-month stint as interim pastor at John Calvin Presbyterian Church this morning as he heads into retirement. Wilkerson served as pastor at the church from 1983-90, when he also was chairman of what community organization?
A. The Salisbury-Rowan Human Relations Council
B. United Way
C. Rowan County Chamber of Commerce
D. Rowan County Ministerial Board
3. After First National Bank in Salisbury was robbed Thursday afternoon, law enforcement quickly identified a suspect, leading to a multi-jurisdictional chase into Davidson County. The chase ended in what Davidson County community, where the suspect was shot?
4. West Rowan High senior Ben Zino received one of 35 highly coveted Park Scholarships to attend N.C. State University. Zino said he was on a tour at what college when he received the news he was chosen for the prestigious scholarship?
A. The University of North Carolina at Wilmington
B. Campbell University
C. The University of Virginia
D. Appalachian State University
5. The LandTrust for Central North Carolina, based in Salisbury, played a pivotal role in the acquisition of 45 additional acres along Mountain Creek in what N.C. state park?
A. Crowders Mountain State Park
B. Morrow Mountain State Park
C. Lake Norman State Park
D. Haw River State Park
6. John Stafford, director of music at First Presbyterian Church, composed a piece for Saturday night’s Pops at the Post concert by the Salisbury Symphony. What was the name of Stafford’s piece?
A. “Salisbury in the Summer”
B. “General Stoneman’s Parade”
C. “The Yadkin Trilogy”
D. “Bell Tower March”
7. LifeWay Church has erected a new building on U.S. 601, and the congregation held an auction Saturday to raise funds toward completing the interior in hopes of worshiping there next spring. In what familiar building has LifeWay been holding services since 2008?
A. Shoaf’s Barn Dance
B. Village Grocery
C. Wink’s S&W Fish Camp
D. Franklin Community Center
8. Salisbury native Ashley Blaire, a junior at Belmont Abbey University, has released a new song called “Don’t Need Me.” In the entertainment field, what’s the name Blaire goes by?
A. Blair Shelton
B. B Ashley B
C. AB Smooth
9. Ike Freeman, a graduate of East Rowan High School, is the starting shortstop for what Atlantic Coast Conference baseball team?
B. Boston College
C. Virginia Tech
D. University of North Carolina
10. Unemployment rates in all of North Carolina’s 100 counties declined in April. The statewide rate was 3.7 percent. Which one of these statements is true about the April unemployment rates in Rowan County and the five counties around it?
A. All are 3.7 percent or less
B. All are over 3.7 percent
C. Only Rowan County’s rate is below 3.7 percent
D. Only Rowan County’s rate is above 3.7 percent
SALISBURY — This week, as he packed items in his office into boxes and ferried the bulk of his books... read more